Sports are a HUGE part of boy world — and that’s a problem for boys who aren’t interested in or don’t particularly enjoy athletics.
In this episode, Jen & Janet discuss:
- Why it’s so important for parents to separate their athletic ambitions from their sons’
- How families can resist social pressure to sign up for sports
- Alternative ways to encourage activity, build teamwork and socialize
- How to identify and support your sons’ true interests
- Strategies parents and teachers can use to make recess and PE class more tolerable for (and inclusive of!) non-athletic kids
Links we mentioned (and more!) in Episode 103:
The Last Boys Picked: Helping Boys Who Don’t Play Sports Survive Bullies and Boyhood, by Janet Sasson Edgette
Helping “The Last Boys Picked” Survive in Sports-Obsessed Schools by Janet Sasson Edgette
Signs at School of Troubled Non-Athletic Boys by Jennifer LW Fink
Being a Non-Sporty Boy in a Sports-Driven Culture by Janet Sasson Edgette
Watch the UNCUT version on Youtube here.