Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 41:34 — 57.1MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | RSS | More
Amy Lang is our go-to sex ed expert.
She’s a mom of a son and she’s not afraid to talk frankly about sex, pornography, relationships and consent.
Our January 2021 conversation with Amy — all about how keep boys safe online — was so enlightening and informative that we’ve decided to run it again. Some gems:
“All the research shows that parents are the most important influence when it comes to sexual decision-making. If we don’t get in the door early, our impact is less. It’s really important to establish yourself as their go-to person.”
“I think it’s way more important to be sexually savvy and to understand healthy relationships than to score a 9000 on the PSAT.”
In this episode, Jen, Janet & Amy discuss:
- Why you need to talk to your boys about sex a lot sooner than you think
- How boys accidently encounter porn
- Setting the stage to talk about sex
- Does talking to boys about porn encourage them to seek it out?
- Establishing family guidelines re internet usage
- The difference between parental controls and monitoring (and how to use each)
- How porn affects boys
- Preparing boys for porn exposure
- Helping boys resist peer pressure to look at porn
- Keeping boys safe online
Links we mentioned (or should have) in this episode:
Talk to Boys about Sex (w Amy Lang) – ON BOYS episode
http://birdsandbeesandkids.com/ — Amy’s website
The Birds & Bees Solution Center for Parents — use coupon code ONBOYS to save 15%
Just Say This! – Amy’s podcast
Birds + Bees + YOUR Kids: A Guide to Sharing Your Beliefs about Sexuality, Love and Relationships, by Amy Lang